Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hives, Hives, Hives

Poor Kaden broken out in hives. Another first for me as a mom. The kids all had a day off of school about a month ago. We were headed to my mom's house to ride the golfcart. When I went to get Kaden out of his carseat I noticed he had 3 bumps on his face that looked like somehting had bitten him. A little weird because by this time mosquito season was pretty much over. By the time I got him inside and was showing my mom he was getting several more and the ones he had were getting bigger. I decided we better go to the doctor. I loaded the kids back in the car and we headed for th doctor's office.


On the way there it became apparent that he was having an allergic reaction to something. His whole face was covered now and the welts were huge. It was very scary because it was just me and the kids and I was obviously driving. I was alarmed at the rate he was getting these things and was scared he may start to have trouble breathing. I was having Kayla make sure and talk to him and see that he was okay while I flew down the road.


We still aren't sure what caused it. The doctor said it could be something viral that kids get that causes hives for about a week or it could have been a reaction to something. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later he did it again after getting the flu vaccine. Within minutes he got all red and was breaking out in hives again. This time the doctor said that was definitely not a viral thing and that he should not ever have any more flu vaccines. Poor Kaden will just have to take his chances on not getting the flu. Apparently allergic reactions can get more severe everytime they come in contact with the thing they are allergic to. If he keeps breaking out then he will have to see an allergist to try to figure out what it is. So far he has been great and no more breakouts.

2 comments:

JoAnna Fountain said...

Poor kid! Hopefully he will not break out into those again.

Jenny said...

Ouch- poor kaden- I hope it's nothing serious and doesn't get worse!